Preparing to Arrive – Fall 2022
Instructions for the following students in JYPE, DEEP, IPLA, and COLABS:
- New Exchange Students enrolling in Fall 2022
Welcome to Tohoku University!
We are delighted that you have chosen to study with us. This section highlights the things you must do before starting the exchange. Please follow the instructions below and submit the necessary applications by the deadlines. Make sure to check this page regularly and prepare the following accordingly.
We look forward to welcoming you to Tohoku University!
1: Apply for COE
A Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is required to obtain a student visa before coming to Japan. Tohoku University will apply for your COE on your behalf at the Sendai Regional Immigration Bureau. Please read the following materials (Form 1 and Form 2) first, then submit your COE application by the deadline, June 15, 2022. Please note that entering Japan as a tourist is NOT allowed.
You will be guided to the COE Application Web Form after going through the Form 1 and 2.
COE Application Form Deadline:
|Spring 2022 New Exchange Students||January 18, 2022|
|Fall 2022 New Exchange Students||June 15, 2022|
Apply For Student Visa:
Tohoku University will send your COE by Express Mail Service (EMS) once it is issued. As soon as you receive the COE, apply for a student visa at your nearest Japanese embassy/consulate general. It may take longer to issue the COE in some cases, however, we ask for your patience as Tohoku University has no control over the process.
Entering Japan After The Specified Date:
You may not enter Japan before the specified date below. Tohoku University is responsible for your well-being in Japan as your visa sponsor.
|Spring Enrollment||Fall Enrollment|
|COE Issuance||Early Mar.||Late Aug.|
|EMS Delivery Days||Approx. 5 days|
|Visa Processing Days||Approx. 5 working days or more|
|Entry in Japan||After Mar. 15||After Sept. 17|
COE issuance schedules are subject to change. (as of May 2022)
For inquiry for COE and Visa, please contact: International Support Center
2: Apply for Dormitory
All Exchange Students (JYPE/IPLA/COLABS/DEEP) must live in the university dormitories. Please read and understand the Important Note below. Then submit the Dormitory Application Form by the deadline, June 15, 2022. Dormitory allocation and check-in procedures will be announced later.
Dormitories for Exchange Students
Residents will be charged for utilities besides rent and maintenance fees.
Comparison Chart for bedding, Internet, equipment, and other services
Campus and Dormitory location:
- All four campuses are conveniently connected by subway.
Both the Aobayama and Kawauchi campuses have a subway station on campus, and you can walk between the campuses.
- A Free shuttle service* between campuses is also available. *Currently out of service to prevent the spread of COVID-19
- Approximate Time Required From Sanjo Area To Kawauchi Campus
On foot: 40 minutes, City Bus (1-3 buses/hour): 12 minutes (about 400 yen one-way)
City Bus/Subway Passes are available for students at a discounted price.
3: Japanese Language Programs at Kawauchi (JLPK)
All new students participating in JYPE, IPLA, and COLABS should submit this JLPK Form by the deadline, July 1, 2022.
Submission Deadline:July 1, 2022
- Double degree or DEEP students do not need to submit this form.
- This web form is to collect necessary information for the Japanese Language Program Registration System.
- You will NOT be able to take any JLPK courses if you miss the deadline for submission.
- Late submission is NOT accepted.
- Only the most recent data you submitted will be accepted if you submit the form more than once during the registration period.
4: Academic Accommodations
You may request academic accommodations due to your physical and/or mental health difficulties before the semester begins if you need support during your stay.
5: Photo Release Agreement
Photo Release Agreement Submission
We, the Student Exchange Division, might take photos, screenshots, and some videos of you in our events, which may be used for publicity on our websites or leaflets, etc. Let us know your preference via the following form by the deadline, July 1, 2022.
6: Travel to Japan (Things To Do) as of May 2022
- You are required to come to your dormitory by yourself as there is no pick up service available. Japan Transit Planner
- Do not bring prohibited items regulated by Japanese customs.
- Make sure to bring your social security number (US citizens/green card holders only) which will be required when opening a bank account (FATCA).
7: First Meeting
JYPE, COLABS and DEEP students only
8: Prepare Funding
The average living cost is approximately 80,000 yen per month. Make sure you have secured enough money to cover your stay.
- Bring a bank card, credit card, and/or debit card issued by an international bank or company.
You can use the following Bank ATMs in Japan to withdraw cash in yen.
✓ JAPAN POST BANK
✓ SEVEN BANK
✓ AEON BANK
- Estimated Living Cost
For those receiving the JASSO scholarship:
- First stipend will be transferred about two months after your arrival.
This is due to the Japanese budgetary system and financial procedures at Tohoku University.
For JASSO scholarship applicants:
Results are currently under review. However, if you participate in the exchange online, you will not receive the JASSO scholarship. Details will be sent to the appropriate applicants later.
Contact: Tohoku University, Student Exchange Division
41 Kawauchi, Aoba-ku, Sendai, Miyagi,
(Office Hours) Monday-Friday 8:30-12:30, 13:30-17:15
Contact us via the Contact Form