Cooperative Laboratory Study Program
The Cooperative Laboratory Study Program (COLABS) is a research-oriented and graduate-level program. COLABS provides international graduate students with opportunities to take part in scientific research trainings in English to increase their abilities which will lead them into new discoveries through unique science activities. A wide range of research topics in all fields of the natural sciences are available. Tohoku University strongly believes that the COLABS program enables to build up great international academic relationships with the partner universities of the world.
COLABS consists of two courses;
Core course (*required)
- Individual Research Training in Lab (IRTLab)
- Offered by relevant Graduate School
(i.e. Specialized Subjects etc.)
- Offered by JYPE
(i.e. Japanese Culture, Japanese Language etc.)
COLABS students are eligible to take classes in English as elective courses along world-class research trainings in the IRTLab.
- COLABS students are non-degree seeking students enrolled under the status of Special Research Student at Tohoku University.
- The exchange duration of COLABS is either one or two semester(s).
Each semester is made up of fifteen teaching weeks.
Core course (IRTLab):
COLABS students can earn 12-30 ECTS(*) equivalent for each semester by participating in research activities.
*European Credit Transfer System
Two Tohoku University credits (TU credits) are to be given per course (90min.) in general.
- Completing 30 ECTS equivalents in the IRTLab per semester
- IRTLab Presentation
- Total earned TU credits can be subject to be transferred to a student’s home university in accordance with their credit transfer policies.
- One TU credit is equivalent to 45-hour of study time.
- Certificate of completion and academic transcripts will be sent to each home university of successful COLABS students.
- COLABS students are not required to complete a thesis, however, the IRTLab activities can be a part of a master/doctoral thesis. (*permission needed from an assgined academic advisor)
1. Courses Offered in Academic Year
2. Course Description of Individual Research Training in Lab
3. Related Graduate Schools and Research Activities for IRTLab
4. Academic Calendar for COLABS
5. Past Theme Titles of IRTLab
An applicant must be:
- a full-time registered degree seeking student, during participating in COLABS, at graduate level with excellent grades at the home university which has a partnership agreement with Tohoku University
- remained as a full-time registered degree seeking student at graduate level at the home university after completing the COLABS program at Tohoku University
How to Apply
COLABS – Application Procedures
*Only the COLABS program requires prior consent from the TU prospective academic advisor.*
Tohoku University provides a fully integrated support service for international students.
Tohoku University Student Exchange Division
41 Kawauchi, Aoba-ku, Sendai, Miyagi,
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30-12:30, 13:30-17:15