Undergraduate (English): Future Global Leadership Program
Admission: October (no April)
Duration: 4 years
Transfer System: None
Pre-enrollment education: June
- - Great financial support opportunity for Vietnamese high school students when applying to the Tohoku University FGL program. (May. 1, 2023) Click here for the details
- - The Application Guide for Tohoku University Future Global Leadership (FGL) Undergraduate Courses (October 2024 Enrollment) has been issued. (Apr. 26, 2023)
- - Results of the 2nd Stage Screening for the FGL courses (October 2023 enrollment) have been announced. (Apr. 3, 2023)
- Click here for details
- - The application window for 2023 October enrollment in Future Global Leadership (FGL) Undergraduate Program is NOW CLOSED. (Jan.18, 2023)
- How to Apply
- Photo Library
- FGL Community
- Promotion Schedule
- FGL Application Guide 2024
The Future Global Leadership (FGL) program at Tohoku University offers three outstanding undergraduate degree courses that are taught in English:
- Advanced Molecular Chemistry (AMC)
- International Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (IMAC-U)
- Applied Marine Biology (AMB)
All three courses provide curriculums that help students to build a solid foundation in the fundamentals of their chosen fields and to encounter the very latest cutting-edge research. High quality academics combined with horizon-expanding cultural experiences make FGL an excellent choice for students who hope to become international leaders during their academic careers and beyond.
Tohoku University participates in various study abroad fairs. The session would include overviews of Tohoku University and each course, the application procedures, and scholarship opportunities.
|Date||Event Name||Time (JST)||Notes|
June 24, 2023
Study in Japan in Bangladesh
June 24, 2023
|Study in Japan in India||18:00-20:30|
21 May, 2022
|15:00 - 17:00||
Archives are available below.
Here is the summary of FGL Promotion Activities from April 2022 to March 2023.
Upon request, we are happy to schedule an online information session for an individual school or organization between 10 am and 7 pm (JST) on weekdays. The session includes overviews of Tohoku University and each course, the application procedures, and scholarship opportunities (about 1 hour).
|Date||Event Name||Time (JST)||Notes|
13 May, 2023
@Mahidol Wittayanusorn School
|11:00 - 16:00||In-person and Zoom|
* Inquiries on Online Information Session : fgl-promotion*grp.tohoku.ac.jp (Please replace "*" with "@")
|Degree||Bachelor of Science||Bachelor of Engineering||Bachelor of Agriculture|
|Academic Staff Members/Lab||
*IMAC students will not be assigned to the following courses
Quantum Science and Energy Engineering course
/Environment and Energy Engineering course
1. Academic Calendar 2022 - 2023 (General Education) / 2023 - 2024
2. General Education Guidebook October 2022* Updated on Oct. 6, 2022
3. General Education Syllabus 2021
1. Advanced Molecular Chemistry (AMC)
2. International Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering (IMAC-U)
3. Applied Marine Biology (AMB)
- In order to find classes in "AMC" or "IMAC-U", input a keyword such as "AMC" or "IMAC" in the search field.
- For classes in AMB, the list of class names doesn't include "AMB". Please search with a keyword.
- Have completed 12-years of education based on a non-Japanese education system by the time of enrollment in Tohoku University.
* For those who have completed 11-years of education, your eligibility will depend on your education history.
|Official English Test Score||
TOEFL iBT® 79+, TOEFL iBT® Home Edition 79+, or IELTS™ Academic 6.0+
・Scores from the TOEFL ITP ® Plus for China will NOT be accepted.
|Standardized Examination Scores||Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry (or Biology for AMB)
*Choose from GCE A-Levels, IB, ACT without Writing, AP, or other national standardized examinations.
* You may submit combination scores. (i.g. ACT science + IB mathematics)
*For details of the qualifications and eligibility for application, see under "4. Eligibility for FGL" in the application guide (PDF file).
Important Exam Dates
The dates may/may not change. Please check the official websites for the official dates.
|Exam||Application Deadline||Exam Date||Website|
|EJU||2nd Session July 28, 2023||Nov 12, 2023||Details|
|ACT||August / September / November||September 8 or 9 / October 27 or 28 / December 1 or 2, 2023||Details|
How to Apply
The "Application Guide for Tohoku University Future Global Leadership (FGL) Undergraduate Courses" explains details of the application procedures for the FGL program.
For further details, visit the website or the specific course of your interest.
Important Dates for the FGL application and admission procedures
|Online Application Submission Period||Noon (JST) Tuesday, January 9, 2024 - Noon (JST) Wednesday, January 17, 2024|
1st Stage Screening Outcome
|10:00 (JST) Friday, February 9, 2024|
|Online 2nd Stage Examination||One or two days during Monday, March 4, 2024 - Friday, March 8, 2024|
|10:00 (JST) Wednesday, April 3, 2024|
|Admission Procedures||10:00 (JST) Wednesday, April 3, 2024 - 8:00 (JST) Wednesday, April 10, 2024|
*Click here for instructions
Download: Statement of Reasons for Applying Form
Download: (Expected) Graduate Certificate Sample
*You can use your own school's format
Download: Letter on English Proficiency Sample
*Applicable countries only (see FGL Applicaiton Guide for more details).
Examination Fee Payment Instruction
Sample Tests (only available for AMC)
Entrance and tuition fees for undergraduate courses are as follows :
|Application Fee||JPY 5,000 (Paid once for the application/examination)|
|JPY 282,000 (Paid once for entrance to Tohoku University)|
|Tuition Fees||JPY 267,900 (Paid every semester for tuition. Payment deadline will be announced after acceptance)|
If fees and tuition are revised during the admissions process or during the program, the new fees will be applied from the time of revision. The above do not include any bank transfer for handling fees. For details, check Tohoku University fees and tuition.
Tohoku University actively supports the academic life of international students in the FGL courses by providing scholarships to those with exceptional academic abilities. Some students will be recommended for Japanese Government (MEXT) scholarship, if our new proposal to reserve MEXT Scholarship seats for FGL students in 2024-2026 Admissions is accepted*. The other students will be recommended for the President Scholarship and will be eligible to apply for the MEXT Honors Scholarship for Privately Financed International Students. For further details, please check the Tohoku University scholarships.
*The result of the proposal will be announced around December, 2023.
|Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship||President Fellowship||MEXT Honors Scholarship
for Privately Financed
|Examination Fee||-||Refunded after enrollment||-|
|Waived||Refunded after enrollment||-|
Amount & Period
X 4 years +
economy air ticket to/from Japan
x max. 4 years
for the first 6 months
(Oct. 2023 to Mar. 2024)
(JPY 267,900 x 2)
|Waived||Students can apply to have tuition fees fully or partially waived.||-|
Recently the scholarship program by "Fast Retailing Foundation" becomes available for high school students from Vietnam who will apply to an FGL course at Tohoku University. Please refer to the detailed information at their HP.
Tohoku University will provide rooms at the University House Aobayama dormitory to all FGL students for the first two years. From the third year, students will need to live in private apartments. Details about the dormitory and supports for finding private apartments can be found at the URLs below:
- University House Aobayama (Leaflet) - TU Support (Website)
1. About Tohoku University and FGL
2. Admissions (Eligibility)
3. Admissions (Application Procedures and Screening)
4. Education Curriculum
5. Scholarships and Housing
FGL community is voluntarily initiated by current FGL students for all current students, alumni, and academic and administrative staff. The goal of FGL Community is to connect the people in the community and to share the information with each other.
The organizing committee is composed with 12 members who are one from each program in each class year (3x4). Here is a sneak peek of their student life.
- Community Newsletter ( Summer 2022 / Autumn 2022 / Winter 2022 / [★NEW★] Spring 2023)
- Community SNS (Facebook/ Instagram)
Future Global Leadership Program
Student Exchange Division
41 Kawauchi, Aoba-ku, Sendai, Miyagi, 980-8576 Japan
Please reach out to us via contact form as we are teleworking.
*We would appreciate it if you read the FAQ in advance. Thank you.