Tohoku University Japanese Program (Program details for 2017 will be updated around January 2017)
This summer intensive program provides students of our partner institutions with an opportunity to discover Japan through diverse learning experiences in English. The program offers intensive Japanese language classes for both beginner and pre-intermediate learners, topical seminars in Japanese culture and society, a home-stay, and other cultural activities including field trips.
TUJP Leaflet 2016 (PDF)
- 1st term: July 4th to July 19th, 2016 [TUJP-1]
- 2nd term: July 25th to Aug 9th, 2016 [TUJP-2]
TUJP provides students with intensive Japanese language classes to develop their communication skills efficiently, focusing on a variety of interesting topics in everyday life. Students are divided into 3 levels according to the placement test. This program also includes relevant lectures and cultural workshops (see below for lecture examples) as well as many opportunities to interact with Tohoku University students. At the end of the program, students will present the outcome of their project work assigned by group. (We will inform the admitted participants of this year’s project theme separately. Topics and contents are subject to change.)
Lectures & Workshop Examples:
- Comparative Japanese Studies
- Governmental Policy in Japan
- Japanese Law and Society
- Japanese Pop Culture
- Japanese Traditional Flower Arrangement
- Karate and more.
On completing the program successfully, students should be eligible to earn 4 ECTS equivalent credits*.
* 1 ECTS is equivalent to 25 hours of work. These credits are not conferred at Tohoku University, so each participant needs to negotiate with his/her home institution with the certificate we issue.
JPY 30,000 (incl. tuition, field trips, Japanese culture workshops and other activities).
Travel, accommodation and everyday expenses should be paid individually. Students are advised to prepare sufficient money for meals and personal expenses.
- Full-time undergraduate students at partner universities (university-level) of Tohoku University
- Sufficient English ability (Overall TOEFL iBT® Test 70 or TOEFL PBT Test 520 equivalent)
Note: TOEFL is a registered trademark of Educational Testing Service (ETS). This product is not endorsed or approved by ETS.
How to Apply
To apply for this program, students must be nominated by their home institutions. Prospective students need to fill in the online application form and upload the following documents no later than the deadline below. The link for the online application form will be sent to the partner universities’ international affairs offices separately. Applying for 2 consecutive terms (ex. TUJP-1 and TUJP-2) is not allowed.
1. Applicant’s portrait photo (4cm x 3cm)
2. Transcript from the previous academic year in English
3. Photocopy of passport (page with applicant’s photo)
4. Personal statement (300-500 words)
5. Copy of English language ability certificate
6. Application Form for the JASSO Scholarship (if applicable)
Application Deadline: March 31st, 2016 (Japan Standard Time)
Student Exchange Division
41 Kawauchi, Aoba-ku, Sendai, Miyagi, 980-8576 Japan
Tel: +81-22-795-3775 or 3745