COLABS – Application Procedures
[Last Update: July 2020]
- COLABS Consent Request Form (SAMPLE)
- COLABS Consent Request Form
- Message Template
*Only the COLABS program requires prior consent from the TU prospective academic advisor.*
Message for our Partners
[Tohoku University] Notification of Change - COLABS Application Procedure
Your nominated students are now required to obtain prior consent from their prospective academic advisors at
Tohoku University before applying through T-cens.
The number of COLABS applicants has been increasing and it has become quite a competitive program.
With that in mind, placing your students in a suitable laboratory has also become a challenge for us.
In order to assign your students to the most suitable laboratory, our committee has decided to adopt this additional requirement.
Instructions and Materials
How to Fill Out Form
・COLABS Consent Request Form (SAMPLE)
An application email is to be dismissed if applicants miss following the template.
COLABS applicants are only allowed to contact one prospective academic advisor at a time. (Q6)
It will take him/her 5-10 business days to review your documents and get back to you.
We strongly recommend that COLABS applicants give him/her as much advance notice as possible
so that there is enough time to complete the online application (T-cens) by the deadline.
No immediate responses can be expected especially for last minute requests.
・COLABS Consent Request Form (Word)
Advisor’s Name and Uploading File on T-cens
・How to Submit ('Form 5' and 'File upload')
Only the COLABS program requires prior consent from the TU prospective academic advisor.
(0) Partner Search - Agreement Level with TU
- Institution-Level Agreement ("INST"); may apply for one of the Natural Science Graduate Schools.
- Department-Level Agreement ("DEPT"); must choose the graduate school you have the agreement with.
*Consulting with your own academic advisor and/or coordinator regarding the types/status of the agreement with TU is essential.
(1) Find a prospective academic advisor in your preferred field:
・Academic Research Staff at Tohoku University
・Graduate Schools and Research Activities for IRTLab
・TU Research Profiles
(3) Inform your home academic advisor and coordinator once you receive consent from you prospective academic advisor.
(4) Combine the following documents with the required application document.
- 3. Letter of Recommendation from academic adviser at home university (see 'Supporting Documents for Application')
- Consent of Acceptance Request Form (SAMPLE Form)
- Email reply message
(5) Submit the combined document to the TU online application system (T-cens) as well as the rest of the essential documents
to complete the COLABS application.
*How to Submit ('Form 5' and 'File upload')
- Each COLABS applicant must obtain consent from one prospective academic advisor beforehand as it is a research-oriented program.
- Obtaining consent from a prospective academic advisor does not guarantee acceptance to the COLABS program.
- Failure to submit any of the application materials to T-cens (incomplete applications) shall result in disqualification
from further screening procedures, regardless of whether consent was obtained.
|Admission||Fall Semester||Spring Semester|
|Consent Request Period||Year Round|
|January 10 - February 20||October 1 - November 15|
|Screening||February - April||November - January|
|Visa and Dorm Applications*||May - July||February - March|
Dorm Check-in & Orientations *
|Late September||Late March|
|Class Ends||Early August||Early February|
(final day of the program)
(Final day of the program)
|Final day of Moving out|
Last day of August
Last day of February
*Necessary instructions will be provided for all the successful applicatns at the same time as Result Notification via T-cens.
Q1. Is there any specific period when I should contact professors to obtain consent?
A: You may contact them throughout the year.
Q2. I have not heard anything from the professor, who I contacted a couple of days ago. What should I do?
A: It will take him/her 5-10 academic days to review your documents and get back to you. We strongly recommend that COLABS
applicants give him/her as much advance notice as possible so that there is enough time to complete the online application (T-cens)
by the deadline. No immediate responses can be expected especially for last minute requests.
Q3. I was unable to complete the T-cens application by the deadline, but I have already obtained consent.
What should I do?
A: Unfortunately, your application will be disqualified, regardless of your advisor's consent.
Please note that we do not accept incomplete or late applications.
Q4. Can I re-upload my documents and/or make modifications to my application on T-cens after the deadline?
I have obtained consent but have found some mistakes on my application.
A: No. If your application is deemed incomplete it will be disqualified, regardless of your advisor's consent.
Q5. I could not obtain consent by the application deadline on T-cens. Is there any way I can still apply for COLABS?
A: No. Your advisor's consent is required to complete your application on T-cens by the deadline.
We do not accept incomplete or late applications.
Q6. Can I send several consent request forms to the COLABS email account at once?
A: No. COLABS applicants are only allowed to contact one prospective academic advisor at a time.