1. Dormitories for International Students

Housing for use by international students is provided by the Tohoku University International House and University House Sanjo University House SanjoⅡ, University House katahira. However, capacity is limited, so, some students may have to find private apartments.

Students should consult the relevant person at their faculty office or the Housing Adviser at Student Exchange Division for information about the above dormitories.

Rent and other charges vary according to location and type of accommodation. The following are rough estimates.

  Residence fee /
rent (monthly)
Common Service
Electricity, gas, and water Shikikin, Reikin *
Sanjo International House Ⅰ Single room
5,900 yen
1,000 yen Paid by resident;
varies by usage
Married couple
9,500 yen
9,500 /11,900 yen
Sanjo International House Ⅱ Single room
22,800 yen
Married couple
32,000 yen
50,000 yen
Higashi Sendai International House Single Yroom
10,000 /22,000 yen
Married couple
33,000 yen
University House Sanjo A type
9,700 yen
2,500 yen Paid by resident;
varies by usage
(30,000 yen)
B type
10,000 yen
3,100 yen
University House SanjoⅡ 18,000 yen 2,500 yen    
University House Katahira 20,000 yen 1,000 yen    
Private Apartment Approx.
30,000 - 60,000 yen
  Paid by resident;
varies by usage


  1. Shikikin(deposit)
    When renting a room or apartment, it is customary for the tenant to pay an amount equal to two to three months' rent in addition to the regular monthly rent. This is to guarantee on-time payment of rent and cover possible repair expenseswhen moving out. A portion of this guarantee may be refunded when moving out.
  2. Reikin(thank-you money)
    When renting a room or apartment, the tenant may also be asked to pay Reikin or Nyukan-hi, a kind of premium customarily paid in appreciation for the use of the room or apartment. The usual amount is equal to one or two months' rent. This is not refundable.

2. Public Housing

Miyagi prefectural and Sendai municipal housing, which are comparatively inexpensive, might be available. However, only those with family members living with them are eligible to apply. If there are too many applicants, tenants will be chosen by lottery.

Application periods and contact information are as follows:

(1) Miyagi Prefectural Housing

Application period: Mar., Jun., Sep. and Dec.
Inquire at: Miyagi Housing Public Corporation
1-1-20 Kamisugi, Aoba-ku, Sendai-shi
TEL : 022-224-0014

(2) Sendai Municipal Housing

Application period: Mar., Jun., Sep. and Dec.
Inquire at: Housing Department, Housing Management Section, Sendai City Construction Corporation
3-10-10 Kokubuncho, Aoba-ku, Sendai-shi
TEL : 022-214-3604

3. Private Apartments and Houses

To find a house or apartment, consult with one of the following:

(1) Tohoku University

(2) Outside the university

  • Real Estate Agents in Sendai

* Agencies may offer many suitable places. However, these agencies charge a commission fee, generally called a chukai-ryo, equivalent to one month's rent.

4. International Student General Housing Insurance

This insurance insures students who live in apartments or dormitories against property damage caused by fire, water leakage etc., and covers costs incurred by failure to pay rent within a decent time period, by repairs, or to restore the room to its original state. This insurance is not only to insure the tenant, but serves also as a form of surety, in case of an emergency, for the party responsible for the tenant. For detailed information about the insurance, please refer to the home page below:

* Rentaihoshonin (joint guarartor)
A guarantor is someone who is willing to accept the obligation of paying on the student’s behalf in case the student is unable to pay. The landlord reserves the right to seek payment from the guarantor if the student does not pay the rent by the time the lease period expires, or to pay for any uncompensated damage to the room. A joint guarantor must be an "adult who makes an independent living", and therefore must have a stable income. Japanese students may ask a parent or relative to be their guarantor, but international students must find their own guarantor in Japan. They should consult with a teacher or professor at the university first. The university also recommends joining "Comprehensive Renters' Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan".

5. Change of Address Information

When moving from their residence, students should report the change of address to the Instruction Section (Kyomu Kakari) of their faculty/graduate school or institute. They should also notify the following offices:

  • □ The ward office of the ward to which the student will move. The student should go to the Census Registration Citizens Division (Koseki Juuminka) at the ward office. Students must go within 14 days of moving.
  • □ The bank where the student opened a bank account
  • □ The nearest post office
    Notifying the post office will ensure that mail sent to the student’s former address will be forwarded to the new address. However, students are advised to inform friends and periodical publishers of their new address in advance.
  • □ Students must inform the gas company, waterworks bureau, and electric company to settle their accounts before moving.

* If you plan to move to another municipality, submit a moving form at the ward-office where you live prior to moving.